ABOUT US

ABOUT US

ABOUT US

HISTORICAL TIMELINE

1849
Dubuque’s First German Catholic Parish (originally named Holy Trinity, later renamed St. Mary’s) founded to accommodate 40 German families

1863–1867
New St. Mary’s Church constructed at 15th and White Streets after the congregation grows to 300 Dubuque families

1870
Convent constructed at 16th and Jackson (currently Maria House)

1872
St. Mary’s School constructed at 15th and Jackson

1982
School consolidated with St. Patrick’s School

1999
Parish cluster formed when St. Mary’s and St. Patrick’s begin to share administrators and priests

2000
Maria House opens in former convent

2001
School becomes part of Holy Family Catholic Schools System

2002
Further consolidation of St. Mary’s/St. Patrick’s School, which combines with Holy Trinity/Sacred Heart School

2004
School closed

2010
Last Mass celebrated at St. Mary’s Church in May

2013
Friends of St. Mary’s established

2014
Friends of St. Mary’s nonprofit corporation formed

2015
Steeple Square campus named

HISTORIC PHOTOS