The Dubuque County Historical Society’s Historic Preservation Awards will be presented as part of Dubuque Main Street’s annual Architecture Days celebration from 5 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 10, at Millwork Marketplace, 333 E. 10th St.

The evening will feature a public reception; keynote speaker Susan Gorrell, executive director of the Julien Dubuque International Film Festival; and an awards ceremony.

The Dubuque County properties awarded were chosen for their historic restoration and preservation efforts.

The awards are given on an annual basis, and all recipients receive a certificate to acknowledge and honor their historic preservation efforts.

For more information, call 563-557-9545.

  • Bryant Elementary School, 1280 Rush St.: Owned by the Dubuque Community School District, the school was built in 1869 as the South Dodge Street School. Renovations in 2015 resulted in a preserved historic aesthetic, improved energy efficiency and classrooms filled with natural light.
  • 208 Third Ave., Farley, Iowa: Owned by Lair Tienter, this property first appeared on a map in 1860 as part of a 900-acre homestead deeded to a Dr. Langworthy. The home was renovated by Tienter, who purchased the property in 2000. It took 15 years to restore the home to its historic appearance.
  • Francis Apartments, 1501 Jackson St.: Owned by Steeple Square and built in 1872, St. Mary’s School originally had 12 classrooms. In 2017, it was converted to 12 apartments as part of the Steeple Square campus.
  • 1710 Jackson St.: Owned by Community Housing Initiatives, this 1919 structure was restored to include replicas of the original wood windows, repairs to the brick and mortar, a rebuilt chimney and fresh paint.
  • 1020 Bluff St.: Owned by Douglas and Michelle Schlarman, this modified Gothic row house was restored to its 1886 appearance by three generations of the Schlarman family.


By TELEGRAPH HERALD. View article online.